CIRCA5000 is an investment platform with a focus on impact investing.
This means investing in companies that aim to solve the world’s biggest environmental and social challenges.
Is their mission statement all it’s cracked up to be?
I tried their services and there are several interesting points about this platform.
Read on to find out if CIRCA5000 fits your needs!
Table of Contents
Introduction to CIRCA5000
If you haven’t heard of them yet, CIRCA5000 (previously known as tickr) is an investment platform that aims to conduct its business ethically.
They proudly call themselves the gold standard of investing sustainably. CIRCA5000 does this by investing in companies that are game changers in environmental and social issues.
Their portfolios consist of players in green energy and technology, sustainable food and biodiversity, clean water and waste, social and economic empowerment, and health and well-being.
Founded in 2019, the platform is still relatively new. The founders, Matt Latham and Tom McGillyCuddy, already have years of experience in the investment management industry.
They raised the initial fund via Seedrs in a bid to find a socially conscious way to make money through investing.
CIRCA5000’s investment model is properly timed, targeting Millennials and Gen Zs.
According to sources, young investors want their investments to have a positive social impact, and SRI or Socially Responsible Investing is becoming the norm.
How to Create & Close Your Account at CIRCA5000
The onboarding process of CIRCA5000 is simple and takes only about 10 to 15 minutes.
To open an account with CIRCA5000, you need to prepare several documents. These include your bank details, government-issued ID, and National Insurance number.
When signing up, you’ll be asked to create a six-digit pin to access your account and to choose your investments.
CIRCA5000 offers a refer-a-friend scheme, where you can gain an additional £10 for you and your friend. True to its ethical values, the platform also pledges to plant 2 trees whenever someone signs up via the refer-a-friend scheme.
When you choose to close your account, you can email their support centre at [email protected] or communicate via the live chat function. Make sure you withdraw all of your funds before doing so.
Product Range of CIRCA5000
Because CIRCA5000 is relatively new, they have a limited amount of products offered.
I expect them to grow for the next couple of years as their target market widens.
At the moment, the platform offers four types of accounts to choose from:
- Personal Pension Accounts (SIPP): This is the newest type offered by the company. A SIPP is a personal pension scheme that will grow free from capital gains and income tax. With a SIPP you can also receive government tax relief depending on your circumstances. With CIRCA5000, you can consolidate your existing pensions, and move them into more socially responsible investments.
- Stocks & Shares ISA: You can invest up to £20,000 each year tax-free with your ISA. With this account, you can invest in shares, funds, and bonds.
- Junior ISA: You can start saving for your little ones with this Junior ISA account. The cap is £9,000 for tax-free investment. You can start a JISA for your child for as low as £5 starting fund.
- General Investment Accounts: This is an option you can open once you have already maxed out on your ISA account. With this account, you can invest in shares, funds, and bonds. But unlike the ISA, the profit you generate from your GIA is taxable.
After choosing your account, you will select a certain theme that resonates with your goals.
Unlike other platforms that provide a questionnaire to give suggestions, you will choose a theme based only on your preference.
At CIRCA5000, the themes are:
- People: In this theme, you’ll invest in education, healthcare, and cybersecurity. You can choose a risk level between cautious, balanced, and adventurous.
- Planet: This involves investing in renewable energy, clean water, and sustainable food production. You can choose a risk level between cautious, balanced, and adventurous.
- People and Planet: This is a combination of previous ones. You can choose a risk level between cautious, balanced, and adventurous.
The platform offers the following features and schemes:
- Fractional Share Trading: This scheme allows you to trade a fraction of a larger stake. This gives low-fund investors access to high-valued shares. For example, you want to invest in L&G Cyber Security which costs £13 for one unit. With Fractional Share Trading, you can put in £5 and be a fractional shareholder.
- Round-Ups: This is a smart feature that securely connects to your bank account and rounds up the spare change on your transactions to the nearest pound. With Round-Up, you won’t even realise that you’re investing and still reap the benefits. The funds will be transferred directly into your CIRCA5000 account portfolio to be invested.
- Custom Portfolios: With this feature, the client will be in more control of their investment. This feature allows clients to adjust the percentages they want to invest in certain investment areas. It also allows the client to take out or add in investments they want to be involved in. This seems like a good halfway point for proactive traders who still want to use this platform.
The platform for CIRCA5000 is mobile-based, which suits the profile of their target market – Millennials and Gen-Zs.
The app relies heavily on visual aids which can make it more welcoming for visual learners.
The app has a sleek design with an intuitive layout. The CIRCA5000 team also tries to omit complicated financial jargon on the app and replace them with layman’s terms.
All their transactions are available on the mobile app, so everything is easily accessible.
Research Services & Tools
Since the platform focuses more on beginner traders, their research services and tools serve more as educational content for novices.
Several video tutorial videos are available that you can use to learn more about market conditions.
CIRCA5000 also has a podcast led by the platform’s co-founders, Matt and Tom. It’s a great way for you to understand their values and strategy, and find out if it aligns with yours.
The platform provides charts and graphs that show your investment’s progress.
You can also get more acquainted with the company that you’re investing in because they provide a short video introduction for every company in your portfolio.
Is CIRCA5000 Expensive?
Fees can sometimes create a dent in your investment fund.
So before you decide to commit to the platform, you must know how much you’ll be paying.
Here are the costs associated with CIRCA5000 accounts:
- Monthly fee: £1 flat fee per month
- Annual platform fee: 0.3% fee for accounts with more than £3,000 fund. The percentage will apply to the portion of your money that’s above the £3,000 mark, for instance, a £4,000 account will be charged £3 annually (0.3% of £1,000).
- Investment fees: Depending on your chosen investment option, you will have to pay 0.24% to 0.65% investment fees per year. The fee will be taken directly from your investment.
- Free withdrawals, set up, and deposits.
How to Withdraw From Your CIRCA5000 Account
To withdraw from your CIRCA5000 account, you can click the investing tab and tap withdraw money.
In circumstances where you need to provide more information, the support team will contact you via email or in-app chat.
Withdrawals usually take 5 – 8 days. If you withdraw after 2.45 PM, your investment will be sold on the next day, so make sure to withdraw early in the day or you may delay the transfer.
Please note that if you’ve recently made a top-up, the fund needs to settle for 1-2 days into your investment account before you can withdraw it again.
Safety & Security
CIRCA5000 is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority or the FCA.
This means that you will be eligible for Financial Services Compensation Fee and can get up to £85,000 in compensation should the company close.
Their platform also employs 256-bit TLS encryption, which means your privacy is well-protected.
Customer Support Review
To contact CIRCA5000, you can use the live chat feature, open a conversation in the chat function in your account, email them at [email protected], or call them.
The team is responsive, and they also have a FAQ menu in the live chat option that leads to an informative answer page.
I also checked out Trustpilot to find out what others think of their customer service.
They’re rated with a score of 4.7 out of 5. Most praised the platform for its responsive support team, easy-to-use interface, and useful feedback.
Who Should Use CIRCA5000?
CIRCA5000’s ethical investment approach fits the requirement for a more socially conscious user base.
Furthermore, their portfolios make it easier for newcomers to start investing.
On the other hand, if you want a more aggressive portfolio with an active strategy, this may not be for you.
Alternatives to CIRCA5000
If you’re looking for alternatives to portfolio investments that also have a socially responsible option, here are CIRCA5000’s competitors that may fulfill your needs:
- Moneybox: The platform aims to encourage investors to develop good saving and investing habits. They round up your day-to-day spending to the nearest pound into saving or investing. Similar to CIRCA5000, the platform offers ISA, GIA, Junior ISA, and SIPP accounts. Another similarity is Moneybox also offers a socially responsible investing scheme portfolio in their plan.
- Plum: Plum shares plenty of similarities with Moneybox, helping people to develop saving habits with a round-up feature. A plus point for Plum is they will analyse your spending habit and determine how much you can afford to invest each month. Plum also has a socially responsible investing scheme with their Clean and Green portfolio.
- Nutmeg: Offers similar products to CIRCA5000, such as ISA, Junior ISA, Personal Pension, and GIA. Nutmeg also heavily focuses on a hands-off approach to investing, relying on portfolios. This platform has a socially responsible investing scheme that you can choose to be more ethical.
Pros & Cons of CIRCA5000
- Ethical investment option
- User-friendly interface
- Portfolios serve as easy entry points for beginners
- No withdrawal, deposits, or set-up fees
- Some were disappointed with the lack of investment options
- No desktop version is available – only available on mobile
CIRCA5000 Review – Final Thoughts
CIRCA5000 is a platform that fills the gap between investing and being environmentally conscious.
Their schemes provide options that not only allow you to invest for your future but also for the planet.
I think that this platform is a breath of fresh air in the financial management industry.
Their products and portfolios suit those who are concerned about the environment.
Beginners can easily choose one of their portfolios that suit their goals best.
Intermediate traders can also use their newly developed custom portfolio feature to gain more control.
Overall, with socially responsible goals, transparency, and an easy-to-use platform, CIRCA5000 is worth a try.
Is Circa5000 safe?
Yes, Circa5000 is a safe option for investors. Your money is held by authorized and regulated third-party custodians, and it is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) for up to £85,000. Circa5000 prioritises data privacy, employing strict privacy policies and 256-bit TLS encryption to protect your personal information.
How long do withdrawals take on CIRCA5000?
Withdrawals on CIRCA5000 typically take up to 12 working days.
Is CIRCA5000 any good?
Yes, CIRCA5000 is highly recommended for anyone interested in sustainable investing. They are committed to promoting sustainable practices, prioritise transparency in their investments, and offer a great opportunity to make a positive impact while growing your wealth.
How many customers does CIRCA5000 have?
CIRCA5000 has approximately 150,000 customers.