Capital.com is a trading platform that offers low fees and a wide range of financial markets.
The newcomer has around 500,000 clients worldwide and $530 billion traded in volume, proving to be a worthy competitor to other platforms.
Beginners can start trading at ease with the low minimum deposit and helpful educational app. Find out if this platform is worth a try in my comprehensive Capital.com review UK.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Capital.com
Founded in 2016, the platform is a go-to for CFD traders thanks to its outstanding selection. The broker is headquartered in Cyprus and accepts customers from 183 countries all over the world.
Through Capital.com, you can access more than 6,000 assets such as indices CFDs, crypto CFDs, commodity CFDs, shares CFDs, and forex CFDs.
Capital.com is an award-winning platform, winning the Best Mobile Platform/App and Best Platform Features in Investment Trends 2022.
One particularly unique feature of Capital.com is its patented AI trade bias detection system that helps you understand your trading behaviour pattern.
How to Create & Close an Account at Capital.com
Capital.com provides five different types of account, which are as follow:
- Demo Account: A practice account for beginners who wants to improve their skills. You can also test your trading strategies here without risking any capital.
- Standard Account: A retail account that allows a deposit of $20 – $3,000. You have access to advanced charts and a range of markets and negative balance protection.
- Plus Account: A retail account with a minimum deposit of $3,000. You have all the features of a Standard Account, plus a dedicated platform walk-through, access to customised analytics, and a dedicated account manager.
- Premier Account: A retail account with a minimum deposit of $10,000. You will have the same features as a Plus Account with the added benefits of exclusive webinars and premier events.
- Professional Account: Professional traders have access to the following leverage: forex majors (1:500), major indices (1:200), commodities (1:200), shares (1:20), and cryptos (1:20). It’s important to know that negative balance protection is only applied to professional accounts that have up to 1:50 leverage applied.
Before you start the registration process, get your government-issued ID and proof of address ready for verification.
The process to open an account is as follows:
- Choose your account type
- Submit your personal information, such as name, date of birth, address, nationality, and employment status
- Verify your address and identity
- Agree to terms and conditions
- Deposit your fund into the account to start trading
To close your account at Capital.com, you need to withdraw all your funds first.
Next, send a closing request to their support centre [email protected] to deactivate the account.
Capital.com focuses on CFDs, and they have one of the most extensive selections:
- Share CFDs: The platform has over 500 share CFDs across the globe, and you can define stops and limits to close your position at a predetermined price.
- Indices CFDs: You’ll have access to 27 indices across the globe, and you can also define stops and limits to close your position at a predetermined price.
- Commodities CFDs: The platform has 29 hard and soft commodities, and you can define stops and limits to close your position at a predetermined price.
- Forex CFDs: There are 138 currency pairs available, and you can define stops and limits as well as activate price alerts.
Capital.com Trading Platforms
You can choose between three available trading platforms at Capital.com:
- Web trading platform: The platform is excellent with highly functional trading ideas, technical analysis, financial articles, multi-changing toggling, personalised watchlists, hedging and risk-management tools, post-trade behavioural analysis with AI, and TradingView. One downside is the lack of customisation options.
- Mobile trading platform: Their mobile platform operates similarly to their web platform, with the added benefits of alerts and notifications that you can set according to the price level. There’s also added security with biometric authentication on iOS devices.
- Desktop trading platform: The desktop trading platform is provided by MetaTrader, which is highly customisable and supports price alerts. On the desktop platform, you’ll also be able to see portfolio and fee reports to find out your profit-loss balance.
Is It Expensive?
Capital.com is known for its low fees. The platform does not charge account, inactivity, commission, currency conversion, funding, and withdrawal fees.
These are the fees incurred when you trade with Capital.com:
- Spread: The spread fee is based on the difference between the bid and ask price.
- Overnight funding: Pay a fee to keep the trade open out of market hours. The charges will be based on the leverage provided, not the entire value of your position.
- Guaranteed stop premiums: You can protect your position with a guaranteed stop, but fees will incur if it’s triggered.
How to Deposit & Withdraw From Your Capital.com Account
At Capital.com, you can use a wide range of deposit options, including bank transfers, Apple Pay, credit cards, debit cards and PayPal.
Bank transfers will require around 3 working days to complete, but other methods are instant.
You can choose to set your account base currency to be GBP, USD, EUR, PLN, or AUD. The platform has no currency conversion fees, which allows you to trade in other markets with different base currencies without extra charges.
The minimum deposit is only $20, but if you use a bank transfer the minimum deposit amount is $250.
Withdrawals in Capital.com is timely, it usually takes about 1 business day until the amount is reflected in your receiving account.
Follow these steps to withdraw your money from your Capital.com account:
- Select withdraw in your account interface
- Choose the withdrawal method you want to use
- Select the account you want to withdraw to
- Enter the amount you want to withdraw
Educational Features on Capital.com
The platform provides great educational content, which includes:
- Educational videos
- Tutorial videos for platform features
- Webinars on trading
- Educational articles on finance and the market
- Glossary for beginners
- Guidance to interpret price movements to create trading strategies
- Learning courses for beginners, such as “Introduction to Financial Markets”
It also provides a demo account that you can use without a time limit.
This is a great way for beginners to learn more about trading and the features available on the platform without risking any real money.
Safety & Security
Capital.com is regulated by the UK and several EU authorities.
Here is the list of authorisation bodies that regulate Capital.com:
- The UK Financial Conduct Authority
- Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission
- The Australian Securities and Investments Commission
- The National Bank of the Republic of Belarus
The platform also protects its clients by having a negative balance protection and Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
The FSCS ensures that you’ll be entitled to up to £85,000 in compensation should the company close down.
But the negative balance protection may not be applicable for professional clients, and they can lose more money than their initial deposit.
Customer Support Review
Capital.com provides a good amount of communication channels, the support team is available via online live chat, telegram, Facebook Messenger, Viber, and WhatsApp.
The platform also has a dedicated account manager that can consult you along the way if you have a Plus Account or a Premier Account.
These support channels are 24/7 to support all trading hours. In my experience, they answered my query via the live chat app within 10 minutes.
Based on Trustpilot reviews from other users, the platform has an excellent standing with a score of 4.3 out of 5.
Many praised the platform for its commendable support team, but some complained to have issues with withdrawals and deposits.
Who Should Use Capital.com?
The platform is good to use for beginners since it has proper educational content and a demo account that you can use to learn about trading.
On the other hand, Capital.com is mainly for CFD trading, which is very risky for beginners.
Professional traders might find the range of products to be impressive, but the lack of customisable layouts on the trading platform is not favourable.
The platform is most suitable for those who want to focus on CFDs, but if you’re looking for other asset classes, it’s best to look elsewhere.
Alternatives for Capital.com
If you’re still looking for alternatives, here are some of the best trading platforms that have similar products and features to Capital.com:
- Plus500: This is another low-cost trading platform that focuses on CFD trading. Both offer equally helpful education platforms with lifetime demo accounts. Plus500’s strengths include a deposit bonus and a generous reward program. This platform can be more costly than Capital.com because it has an inactivity fee. Read my full Plus500 review.
- CMC Markets: CMC Markets is another platform that offers CFD trading. You can start trading for as low as $1 on this platform. CMC Markets interface is also much easier to navigate than Capital.com. But in terms of fees, Capital.com has lower total costs than CMC Markets. Read my CMC Markets review.
- eToro: If you want more access to markets and products, you should choose eToro. This platform is a leading social trading network, where traders can copy other experienced users and their investments. eToro has a much more versatile offering, such as stocks, cryptos, commodities, currencies, indices, and ETFs. One downside to eToro is it has a $5 withdrawal fee compared to Capital.com’s free withdrawal. Read my eToro review.
- Interactive Brokers: Interactive Brokers offer stocks, options, futures, EFPs, forex, bonds, funds, and cryptos, making it much more versatile than Capital.com. On the other hand, Capital.com offers a better fee structure than Interactive Brokers. Read my Interactive Brokers review.
Pros & Cons of Capital.com
- Low trading fees
- Excellent support team
- Demo account to practice for beginners
- Low minimum deposit amount
- Only CFD and spread betting are available for UK clients
- Missing several advanced tools
Capital.com Review – Final Thoughts
Capital.com offers low fees, low deposits, a superb education platform, and a great range of CFD products.
This is a great platform for beginners who wants to try their demo account to learn more about trading or for experienced traders who want to focus on CFDs and take advantage of their low trading fees.
But if you’re looking for an all-rounded broker, you might be better off choosing other platforms mentioned in this article.
I hope that my Capital.com review has given you some deeper insight into what the platform has to offer. You can now decide whether it’s the best platform for your online trading needs.