Believe it or not, non-fungible tokens have taken the world of online trading by storm, gaining ground over other market assets with every passing day.
But with increased adoption comes plenty of scrutiny and lots of unanswered questions, with many wondering what makes NFT apps good.
With all your pain points in mind, my guide breaks down the details of the 10 best NFT marketplaces and platforms worth paying attention to.
Also, I share some important tips on how to trade these valuable assets if you are new to this field.
Table of Contents
10 Best NFT Marketplaces in the UK
Here’s my full list of the 10 best NFT marketplaces covered in this guide.
Remember, my analysis was not only based on the popularity of the chosen platform but also on viable trading volume and history.
- OpenSea – Overall Best NFT Marketplace For NFT Trading
- Axie Marketplace – Best NFT App For Axie Trades
- Larva Labs – Popular NFT Destination For CryptoPunks Purchases
- NBA Top Shot – Best NFT App For In-Game Basketball Clips
- Rarible – Decentralised NFT Marketplace for Collector
- SuperRare.co – Top NFT App For Unique Digital Collectibles
- Atomic Market – Best For Shared Liquidity
- Foundation – Great NFT App For Royalty-Based Sales
- Aavegotchi – Best For DeFi-Staked NFTs
- MakersPlace – Top NFT App For Exclusive Creator Contents
Top NFT Marketplaces Reviewed
Onto the actual reviews now!
1. OpenSea – Overall Best NFT Marketplace for NFT Trading
Our best overall NFT trading app is also one of the best options for newcomers. OpenSea is a popular platform that has averaged about $9.3 billion in total NFT sales, giving it an upper hand over most other platforms.
I see it as an all-inclusive platform, featuring plenty of NFTs, from GIFs to music, artworks, and even in-game items.
The app thrives on its user-friendly interface, allowing NFT creators to trade digital artwork within the shortest time possible.
Be it the sale at a fixed price or the ever-reliable auction mode, investors are always guaranteed to make huge profits from their exceptional works.
NFT collectors will find the huge NFT library quite impressive, bringing all imaginable assets in one place, from virtual worlds to rare cards and digital arts.
2. Axie Marketplace – Best NFT App for Axie Trades
Axie Marketplace is another exciting name you will want to pay attention to when searching for NFT collectibles.
This NFT marketplace utilises Ronin blockchain and Ethereum to enable traders to buy and sell unique, in-game tokenised characters, also known as Axies.
It is not just a way to invest in your desired NFTs but an innovative method of letting users own the gaming platform, albeit partially. Axie Marketplace takes full advantage of Axie’s characters, boasting a whopping $2.64 billion in NFT sales. If that doesn’t make them reliable, nothing will.
The Axie NFT app is witnessing massive growth in all quarters, with reports stating that the platform records over 1.5 million daily logins from its global users.
I won’t lie to you here. Despite its popularity, the Axie Marketplace isn’t the most user-friendly platform out there, and to take full advantage of its products, be willing to learn through the inevitable challenges along the way.
For instance, a typical player must own at least 3 Axies, totaling several hundred pounds. And that’s exactly what you need to even start thinking about competing on this platform.
Regardless, you can enjoy a steady income stream at Axie, provided you understand the nitty-gritty of trading on this platform.
3. Larva Labs – Popular NFT Destination for CryptoPunks Purchases
If you are purely in search of NFT tokens, only one name should come to mind; Larva Labs.
While not the most popular name in the market, this Ethereum-based NFT marketplace enables traders to buy and sell a range of digital collectibles by taking advantage of their impressive features.
You will find popular names like CryptoPunks on the app, a collection of 10,000 minted characters with unchangeable attributes.
If you want a guarantee of reliability, DappRadar reports that Larva Labs, with its CryptoPunks project, has recorded up to $1.49 billion in total NFT sales.
This NFT app also has an endless NFT game, Road Trip, that works on mobile devices. This is in addition to the autoglyphs and androify NFTs.
Other interesting projects you will come across at Larva Labs include the FlowHome Android launcher and Meebits, a one-of-a-kind 3D voxel platform with matchless tracing abilities.
Even with so many projects, I still find Larva Lab’s CryptoPunks the standout option, with an impressive history to back it up. For the record, the most expensive Punk ever sold at $7.6 million.
As you would expect, Larva Labs allows for easy purchasing using the MetaMask wallet, another Ethereum-supported platform.
4. NBA Top Shot – Best NFT App for In-Game Basketball Clips
NBA Top Shot is built around the Flow Blockchain and exists as one of the best NFT marketplaces in the UK.
It has striking similarities to the aforementioned Axie, but this time, focusing on in-game video clips of the NBA championships.
That also gives it a specific identity, with buyers free to tokenise digital trading cards with basketball clips. Every clip you buy will be stored under a verified wallet for easy reselling on the app’s official marketplace.
Compared to other NFT apps, it’s fair to say NBA Top Shot has enjoyed huge success over the years, thanks to its ease of use.
You can use a Google account during account setup, which makes it even more convenient for traders of different backgrounds.
Besides, NBA Top Shot allows multiple payment methods in addition to the traditional ETH currency. They include credit cards, Flow wallets, and crypto wallets.
5. Rarible – Decentralised NFT Marketplace for Collector
With new technologies, you could be looking for an escape route from the traditional centralised methods. That can only mean a desire to explore a modern platform with exclusive features.
And one of the first names that quickly springs to mind is Rarible, a community-driven NFT app that supports plenty of digital collectibles such as cards, art, and short videos.
Rarible is loved for its user-friendly interface, facilitating easy account setup and purchases regardless of your experience level.
It is an exceptional NFT app, boasting an industry-first lazy feature to counter high gas fees when minting on Ethereum-based platforms. That means buyers can pay gas fees for whatever NFT collectible they wish to purchase.
Rarible has secure, decentralised storage to safely keep your chosen NFTs until a buyer develops a strong interest. Then, the NFT will be available for minting and subsequent purchasing as the buyer also covers the gas fee.
Again, being one of the top-rated NFT apps in the market, Rarible is happy to reward its users with its unique tokens.
As I wind up, the list of supported wallets includes WalletConnect, MyEtherWallet, Coinbase, and MetaMask, among the rest.
6. SuperRare.co – Top NFT App for Unique Digital Collectibles
SuperRare is another exciting NFT marketplace that features an interesting list of unique digital collectibles.
It ranks sixth in the list of the most popular NFT apps, recording a whopping $158 million in total NFT sales. SuperRare focuses on highly-rated digital collectibles, including 3D NFT networks, short clips, and art.
Also featured is a user-friendly interface with an impressive list of supported wallets, including WalletConnect, Formatic, and MetaMask.
It is one of the few platforms that guarantee quality on every NFT, with every asset scheduled for review by the SuperRare team.
Unfortunately, SuperRare maintains that NFT collectors must pay up to 15% commission if their work is listed on the official marketplace. So, the royalty program should come as a relief, considering it allows creators to earn as much as 10% on any future sale of their digital artworks.
In conclusion, SuperRare also has an ERC-20 token, named $RARE, and is quite useful in governance-centric activities.
7. Atomic Market – NFT App for Shared Liquidity
Atomic Market is one of the best alternatives to some of the biggest NFT platforms. Unlike most apps, it is built around EOSIO, guaranteeing a low-cost, decentralised, and highly scalable approach.
The app is unique because it mirrors a shared liquidity platform for digital collectibles. In other words, all the listed NFT projects in one market appear in the rest of the markets.
Atomic Market sits comfortably in the 7th position in my list of the best-rated NFT apps, with an average of $118.12 million in total NFT sales thus far.
It has the all-important Atomic Hub Marketplace, an exceptional platform that enables NFT enthusiasts to create, buy, or sell NFTs from multiple sources.
On the same note, the full list of supported wallets at Atomic Marketplace includes Scatter, Anchor, and WAX Cloud Wallet.
8. Foundation – An Excellent NFT App to Enhance Creativity
Foundation is an exciting NFT app that leads the pack when it comes to enhancing creativity.
It is committed to taking NFT trading beyond the horizons, with its exclusive list of collectibles that has earned it a whopping $95.12 million in total sales.
Generally speaking, Foundation is one of the best options for newbie investors and digital art creators looking for their breakthrough in this field.
Ranked 8th on my list of the best NFT marketplaces, this app has a diverse collection of NFT works, from art to short clips.
However, on the downside, Foundation also charges an enormous 15% commission for standard minting on the platform.
The only positive is that NFT creators can reclaim up to 10% of their fees through the royalty program after the successful resale of their digital works.
And speaking of payments, the list of supported wallets by Foundation includes WalletConnect, MetaMask, for withdrawal and deposits.
9. Aavegotchi – Top App for DeFi-Staked NFTs
If you asked me who would take the top spot for the DeFi-staked digital token trading, I would instantly recommend Aavegotchi.
This is a dedicated NFT app built around Aave protocol while at the same time running on Ethereum’s layer 2 platforms Polygon Network.
It boasts an impressive $49.43 million in total NFT sales and has deservedly acquired the ninth spot in my list of top-rated NFT apps.
Generally speaking, Aavegotchi closely mirrors an NFT game, with users allowed to buy Aavegotchis and get in-game items in return.
Moreover, players can use DeFi collaterals and receive staking rewards comparable to what’s usually earned from most crypto staking platforms.
It’s worth reminding that every Aavegotchi is unchangeable, existing as a distinct entity with a different personality and colour.
Players will only improve their kinship score by constantly interacting with their Aavegotchis.
Also, users will get trophies and badges to help when increasing the uniqueness of their NFT works. Currently, Aavegotchi has Portis, Venly Wallet, and WalletConnect as the three supported wallets.
10. MakersPlace – Top NFT App for Creator Contents
Makersplace takes a ton of pride in being the leading platform to find digital collectibles from reputable creators in the industry.
It has witnessed record sales from reputable names like Tom Morello, Shakira, TPain, and Beeple.
Creating a MakersPlace account is easier than many people assume, and you can use your Google account, Facebook account, or email address.
Immediately after account creation, new investors will be expected to pick the creators they would love to follow.
Conversely, creators must seek permission via an invitation link to be part of the platform. The supported wallets on this platform include Trust Wallet, Coinbase, and MetaMask.
Unfortunately, MakersPlace also charges a 15% commission while offering a 10% payback in its royalty program if the project records a successful sale.
Even if Makersplace isn’t a popular name in the industry, we still rate it highly and think it would easily suit your needs, given the impressive $25 million total sales it has averaged in the NFT industry.
What is an NFT?
An NFT, or non-fungible token, is a unique digital asset that represents ownership or proof of authenticity of a specific item or piece of content.
Unlike cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin or Ethereum, which are fungible and can be exchanged on a one-to-one basis, NFTs are indivisible and cannot be mutually exchanged.
Each NFT has distinct characteristics and properties that make it one-of-a-kind and different from other tokens.
NFTs are typically built on blockchain technology, which provides a transparent and decentralised ledger to verify ownership and track the transaction history of these digital assets.
NFTs have gained popularity in various fields, including digital art, collectibles, virtual real estate, gaming, and more, enabling creators and collectors to engage in unique digital ownership and monetisation opportunities.
What is an NFT Marketplace?
An NFT marketplace is an online platform where non-fungible tokens (NFTs) are bought, sold, and traded.
NFTs represent unique digital assets such as artwork, collectibles, music, videos, virtual real estate, and more.
These marketplaces provide a space for creators to showcase and monetise their digital creations, while allowing collectors and enthusiasts to browse and purchase NFTs using cryptocurrency.
NFT marketplaces often offer features like bidding, instant buying, and secondary market options, creating a vibrant ecosystem for the exchange of unique digital assets.
How to Choose the Best NFT Marketplace & Platform
When choosing an NFT marketplace, consider the following factors:
- Reputation and Trustworthiness: Opt for established and reputable marketplaces with a track record of successful transactions and positive user reviews. Look for platforms that prioritise security, authenticity, and transparent transactions.
- Variety and Quality of NFTs: Evaluate the marketplace’s selection of NFTs. A good marketplace should offer a diverse range of high-quality NFTs across different categories like art, collectibles, gaming, or music. Assess if the marketplace aligns with your interests and preferences.
- User-Friendly Interface: Choose a platform with an intuitive and user-friendly interface. The marketplace should provide easy navigation, search filters, and a smooth browsing experience to help you discover and explore NFTs effectively.
- Fees and Costs: Consider the fees charged by the marketplace for listing, buying, or selling NFTs. Compare the fee structures across different platforms to find one that suits your budget and offers fair pricing.
- Community and Engagement: Look for marketplaces with an active community and engaged user base. A vibrant community can enhance your NFT experience through networking, collaborations, and discussions. Check if the platform encourages interaction and community participation.
- Platform Policies: Review the marketplace’s policies regarding ownership rights, royalties, licensing, and intellectual property protection. Understand how the platform handles disputes, counterfeit NFTs, and copyright infringement to ensure your interests are safeguarded.
- Secondary Market Opportunities: Consider whether the marketplace supports a secondary market for buying and selling previously owned NFTs. A robust secondary market can offer liquidity and potential investment opportunities.
- Technical Infrastructure and Scalability: Assess the platform’s technical capabilities, including its scalability, transaction speed, and compatibility with your chosen blockchain. A reliable and efficient infrastructure ensures smooth transactions and a seamless user experience.
Remember to conduct thorough research, read reviews, and explore different marketplaces to make an informed decision based on your specific needs, preferences, and goals in the NFT space.
How to Buy NFTs?
To buy NFTs, follow these general steps:
- Set Up a Digital Wallet: Choose a digital wallet that supports the blockchain on which the NFTs are minted and traded. Most NFTs are based on Ethereum, so you’ll need an Ethereum wallet like MetaMask or Trust Wallet.
- Acquire Cryptocurrency: Obtain the required cryptocurrency, usually Ethereum (ETH), to purchase NFTs. You can acquire ETH from cryptocurrency exchanges by converting fiat currency or other cryptocurrencies.
- Choose an NFT Marketplace: Select a reputable NFT marketplace where you can browse and buy NFTs. Popular platforms include OpenSea, Rarible, SuperRare, and NBA Top Shot.
- Connect Your Wallet: Connect your digital wallet to the NFT marketplace by logging in through the platform’s interface or using browser extensions like MetaMask. This will allow you to access your funds and interact with the marketplace.
- Browse and Discover NFTs: Explore the marketplace’s collections, categories, or artists to discover NFTs that interest you. You can filter, search, and browse through various listings to find the NFTs you want to purchase.
- Place a Bid or Make a Purchase: Once you find an NFT you want to buy, check the price and listing details. You can either place a bid if the listing allows it or make an instant purchase if the NFT is available at a fixed price. Follow the instructions on the platform to complete the transaction.
- Confirm and Pay: Review the transaction details, including the total cost, gas fees (transaction fees), and any additional information required. Confirm the purchase and authorise the payment using your connected wallet.
- Ownership Transfer: After the transaction is processed and confirmed on the blockchain, the NFT will be transferred to your wallet, and you will become the owner of the digital asset.
Remember to exercise caution while purchasing NFTs, do thorough research on the authenticity and reputation of the marketplace and the NFT creator, and be mindful of transaction fees and any associated costs.
How to Mint an NFT?
NFT marketplaces also allow you to trade or mint unique digital collectibles called NFTs. Minting an NFT means creating a unique token on a blockchain.
To mint an NFT, follow these general steps:
- Choose an NFT Platform: Select a suitable NFT platform that aligns with your needs and preferences. Some popular platforms include Ethereum-based marketplaces like OpenSea, Rarible, or platforms specific to other blockchains like Binance NFT Marketplace or Flow.
- Set Up a Wallet: Create a digital wallet that supports the blockchain on which the NFT platform operates. Most NFT platforms are based on Ethereum, so you’ll need an Ethereum wallet like MetaMask.
- Prepare Your Content: Ensure that your digital content meets the specifications and requirements of the NFT platform. This may include creating artwork, collecting digital items, or preparing other unique content that can be tokenised.
- Connect Your Wallet: Connect your digital wallet to the NFT platform. This process typically involves logging into your wallet through the platform’s interface or using browser extensions like MetaMask.
- Upload and Mint: Upload your digital content to the platform and provide relevant details such as title, description, and any additional metadata. Follow the instructions to mint or create your NFT. This process usually involves paying a transaction fee and confirming the minting transaction on the blockchain.
- Verify and Publish: Once the minting process is complete, verify that your NFT has been successfully created. Review the details and ensure everything is accurate. After verification, publish your NFT to make it available for others to discover, purchase, or bid on.
Remember, specific platforms may have variations in the minting process, so always refer to the platform’s guidelines and documentation for precise steps.
Additionally, be mindful of any associated costs, transaction fees, or gas fees required for minting and interacting with NFTs on the blockchain.
Non-fungible tokens are here to stay. Or, as some would say, NFTs are here to take over. With their key role in revolutionising the digital currency landscape, their popularity isn’t slowing down anytime soon.
With more and more individuals investing in these digital collectibles, the biggest favour you can do for yourself is to make smart business decisions from the get-go.
And that will involve the best NFT platforms.
I hope this guide has helped you understand these marketplaces more and helped you decide on one.
How to invest in NFTs UK?
To invest in NFTs in the UK, set up a digital wallet, acquire cryptocurrency like Ethereum, choose a reputable NFT marketplace, research projects and creators, and make strategic purchases aligned with your investment goals. Stay informed about market trends, be cautious of scams, and consider the long-term value and potential resale opportunities. Stay updated on the legal and tax implications of NFT investments in the UK.
Can I create my own NFT?
Yes, you can create your own NFT by minting it on an NFT platform.
How much does an NFT cost?
The cost of an NFT can vary widely, ranging from a few pounds to millions of pounds, depending on factors such as the artwork, demand, and perceived value by buyers.